Otaku Life Radio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DJ ASU Bio

Go down

DJ ASU Bio Empty DJ ASU Bio

Post  DJ ASU Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi Everyone Just thought I'd give some background to my DJing Skills.
I started learning the skill from the mid 80's by listening to many New York radio Hip Hop mix tapes by DJ Red Alert, Marley Marl, Chuck Chill Out and more of the pioneers of radio DJs. From there I learned skills and my style the hard way- Paying my dues by being a speaker boy at house parties and being kicked off a few sets for sucking. Learning things this way has taught me to be unique and think out the box. So I thank all you DJ's that kicked my butt when I was starting off.

Speaking of Style, my style of DJing blends beats and melodies while keeping the audience guessing what will come next. I am very good at scratching and doing minor tricks but I am not a "battle DJ" in todays terms. I get my best vibes when DJing live and while I love to mix Old School Hip Hop the most for it's hard beats and creative composition, I am able to mix any music out there. I use anything from Turn Tables to CD Players and Mixing programs but I will always, ALWAYS, stick very close to my 2 Technique 1200 Turn tables no matter what!!!

Over the years I DJ'd house parties, clubs, weddings, fashion shows, car shows, and even a few Anime Cons. I was Djing clubs up until 2003 when domestic music stopped inspiring me and I dove deep into my alternative music of choice: J-Pop (mind you - not even thinking to DJ it hard core like I am now). By habit I collect many things and J-pop became one of them so my collection is quite large and by Chance the good folks of Otaku Life Radio asked me to do this show. I looked at it as an oppertunity to get back into the thing I love and to do it with music that was creative and fresh.

I decided to do this in two ways:
1. With a stylish quality that would be energetic and introduced the original ways of SJing by using melodies and beats to create new sounds within the mix.
2. Use the show to introduce all types of Asian Pop music genres.
... and the rest is history. Here are some fun facts:

Started DJing: 1985 in St.Thomas USVI
Influential DJs: DJ Red Alert, Marley Marl, Jazzy Jeff. DJ Premier, Miz, Cash Money, Terminator X, Jam Master Jay. Spinderella, DJ Scratch, Pete Rock, Scott La Rock (R.I.P.) And many other local DJs
Favorite music: J-Pop, K-pop, Old School Hip Hop, Soul, Acid Jazz, House.
Favorite domestic artists: Amerie, Incognito, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Mos Def, The Roots, Christina Agulira, Jill Scott, KRS One, Jameriquai, Panacea
Asian Artists: Misia, Yokko Kanno, Maaya Sakamoto, Claziquai, Minmi, Ali Project, Boa, Gummy, Utada Hikaru, unicorn Table, Salia, Ayumi Hamazaki Drunkin Tiger, ... way to much to name
Faverate Anime Soundtrack: Cowboy Bebop (not being clichish... when you own all 13 soundtracks it becomes love!)

DJ ASU

http://www.tenbuproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum